Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Disposable Plastic Straws



A lmost every day, I conclude my morning workout with a green smoothie. A few months ago, immediately after making one of these smoothies, I reached blindly into the kitchen's high corner cupboard, expecting a skinny plastic straw to fall into contact with my fingertips. It didn't. In addition to contemplating whether or not the straws' empty container made of flimsy plastic was recyclable, I simultaneously scribbled "straws" onto a grocery list. Upon taking a sip of my smoothie, I questioned why exactly it was that I needed a straw to drink it. And in that moment, with the empty plastic box in one hand, sipping a delicious smoothie in the other, it suddenly occurred to me what a waste disposable plastic straws are and just how unnecessary straws are in general. So I scratched out the grocery list's latest addition, tossed the empty box into the recycling (it was recyclable), and snuggled into a chair with my phone and smoothie to do more research.


No comments:

Post a Comment